6 Tips for the Perfect Yoga Handstand
When I started taking Yoga classes one of the first things that most impressed me was watching people doing these beautiful handstands. Preformed the right way, the Yoga Handstand with it's many variations is a beautiful and powerful move to witness.
So, I searched for information everywhere I could to find the way for beginners to get started on their journey to implementing these techniques to nail the perfect handstand.
1) Grab some non-stick socks and the instep faced down and hands firmly planted on the floor, straighten your legs while keeping your arms straight. If you have a hard time straightening all the way up, just take it slow and go as high as you can without causing yourself any pain.
2) With your arms in the same position, pull your rear end up as high as you can while keeping your legs straight.
3) With your back about a legs distance from a wall, go down on your hands and prop one leg at a time against the wall. If you're unable to hold yourself up try using some assistance with a Handstand Trainer. Here you will allow your shoulders to slightly drop and them push them back up in the original position.
4) Measure your body about a leg's length away from the wall and then turn around, place your hands firmly on the floor with arms straight and prop one leg at a time against the wall behind you.
5) With legs and arms straight, practice lifting one leg at a time over your head.
6) When you're ready, kick both legs up and over your head.
Congratulations! if you followed all the steps and didn't rush yourself, you are now on your way the the perfect handstand.
Please be aware as in all exercise and physical activities be sure to consult with a health practitioner or personal trainer who is there to assist you.
Yoga is meant to be a great experience and it's not a race to the finish. TAKE YOUR TIME. Listen to your body. If it doesn't feel good, it's not yoga!